Friday, January 23, 2009

Long live my Alma Mater

It feels like a dream when I look back recollecting my association with Sydenham College. I had the first glimpse of the college in 1955 while on a stroll on the Marine Drive. The college building was absolutely new then. I hadn't the faintest idea that I would be associated with this institution for the next 42 years of my life.

In 1957, I enrolled as student here and my love affair with the college started. In those days, 1957-1963 that I was here as a student, the academic excellence was the hallmark of the college. Every professor who came to class was erudite, competent, strict on discipline and emphatic on the academic aspect. The classes used to be full with proper roll call and every lecture a test of our alertness and comprehension. Professors flew at jet speed and expected students to follow and keep up with them. The staff common room used to always be full and one could hear very heated debates on economic development issues, accounting practices, the legal cases or at times very hilarious arguments on current affairs. The Principal of the college used to be a very common member in the discussions. Most of the professors were such masters of their subjects that they participated in national debates, worked as advisors to the National Planning Commission, various committees of the Govt. of India and the Universities. One could grab the benefit of their expertise and knowledge.

Very rarely if ever, we could skip classes. Every professor insisted on every student attending classes and then in the time left to the students, all other extra curricular activities could be pursued. The College Annual Day was a function to witness. Even back then the college had a posse of societies and each was very active. The literary societies were the most active ones and would put up excellent programmes like dramas, poetry reading sessions, lectures of eminent authors etc.

It was very common for the Urdu Mandal to organize a shadow play at the Annual Day. The Gymkhana was active with the annual sports event. There were some very eminent sportsmen visiting the grounds on the day. I remember Shri Vijay Merchant, a chief guest, who participated in a walking race for the ex-students of the college. The stands of the University grounds or Cooperage used to be brimming with students on that day.

The Students' Union was the top student body with public election of the representative and eventually the election of the Chairman of this body. It was primarily the Union which used to organize the Annual Day function, a gala event for the year.

Now times have changed, personalities have changed, the problems have changed and all institutions have to adapt to these changes. I have enjoyed Sydenham as a student. But more than that, I enjoyed the college as a professor. The college has shaped my approach, my capacities and my personality. When I look back, I realize how much Sydenham has been to me. It is an integral part of me which is impossible to erase or forget.

Partings are sad and it had been the saddest event for me. But everyone has to play his innings and when the umpire lifts his finger one has to walk back to the pavilion.

I walked back to the pavilion with a great sense of content and satisfaction that I have played my innings to the best of my abilities.

All I say now is "Long live my Alma Mater and let it grow from strength to strength."


Prof. S.K. Belsare

1 comment:

  1. Hello sir prof S. K. Belsare. How are you sir, where do you live now? I am in mumbai, manishtalwar from 1994 batch, SEBAR

    ReplyDelete